Run For Office
City Council Vacancies
Four (4) City Council member seats will be open for the November 8, 2016 General Municipal Election. Districts 1, 3, 4 and 5 will be on the November 8, 2016 ballot. Districts 2 and 6 will hold elections in 2018, together with the council member (district) randomly picked to serve a short two-year term. Following the swearing-in of the Council Members elected at the November 8, 2016 election, the City Council will select by casting of lots one member to hold office for a term of two years (term ending November 2018); the remaining three elected members will serve a four year term (ending November 2020).Eligibility to Run for Anaheim City Council
Interested in Running for City Council - Process Map
- A citizen of the United States
- At least 18 years of age
- Mayor: A resident and qualified elector of the City of Anaheim, at least 30 days immediately preceding the filing of nomination papers
- Council Member: A resident and qualified elector of the respective district, at least 30 days immediately preceding the filing of nomination papers
Nomination ProcessThe nomination period opens on Monday, July 18, 2016 at 8 a.m. and closes on Friday, August 12, 2016 at 5 p.m. If an incumbent who is eligible to run does not file, the deadline will be extended to Wednesday, August 17, 2016 at 5 p.m. Nomination papers can only be obtained from the Office of the City Clerk. There is no fee to receive nomination papers and candidate information. A $25 fee applies upon the filing of the nomination paper. (AMC 1.12.090)
Although appointments to receive and/or file nomination papers are not required, appointments are encouraged; candidates with appointments will be assisted first. To schedule an appointment, please call (714) 765-5166.
Each candidate is required to receive no less than twenty (20) and no more than thirty (30) signatures of Anaheim registered voters. A candidate with less than 20 verified signatures will be disqualified, unless supplemental signatures are received and filed prior to the close of the nomination period. The nomination form will be provided to each candidate during the nomination period.
In addition to the original nomination form, the following original documents shall be filed with the City Clerk, at the same time (all related filing information can accessed through the Candidate Handbook):
- $25 nonrefundable filing fee, payable to the City of Anaheim
- Candidate Statement with payment (optional) - 200 word maximum. In addition to the written form, a candidate’s statement must be submitted to the City Clerk on a USB flash drive, which will be provided to you.
- Form 700, Statement of Economic Interest
- Ballot Designation Worksheet (optional) - If a ballot designation will be submitted, the Secretary of State ballot designation worksheet is required.
- Biographical Information Form (optional)
- Code of Fair Campaign Practices Form (optional)
- Statement of Responsibility for Temporary Political Signs
(copy, original to Department of Transportation)
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact City Clerk, Linda Andal
at (714) 765-5166.
- 2016 Candidate Handbook
- Interested in Running for City Council-Process Map
- View/E-file Campaign Statements
- Candidate and Treasurer Webinar - Fair Political Practices Commission
- California Fair Political Practices Commission – Local Candidate Manual No. 2
- Campaign Reform
- Contribution Limits
- Political Sign Regulations