The City of Anaheim was founded in 1857, and in 1894, the City built the first municipal electric utility in Southern California. Within a year, the Anaheim Public Utilities (Anaheim) was bringing energy to the downtown area and generating energy from 1895-1916. From 1916-1976, Anaheim purchased its power supply from Southern California Edison Company, and from 1976 - 2003, Anaheim began receiving power from its ownership shares in conventional resources, including nuclear, coal and natural gas resources, until providing customers with renewable resources, beginning in 2003.
In 2006, Assembly Bill 32 established a statewide Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions reduction target of 20% below 1990 levels by 2020, which later increased to 40% by 2030. To help achieve the State's GHG emissions reduction goals, we have been providing our customers with increasing amounts of energy from renewable resources, while reducing the consumption of conventional energy resources. In calendar year 2017, our reliance on coal power was reduced to 38%.