Police Spotlight

Posted on: June 1, 2016

U Visa Certification


The U nonimmigrant status (U visa) is set aside for victims of certain crimes who have suffered mental or physical abuse and are helpful to law enforcement or government officials in the investigation or prosecution of criminal activity. The U Visa is a 4 year temporary work permit, which could allow a path to permanent residency.

You May Be Eligible For a U Visa If:

  • You are the victim of qualifying criminal activity.
  • You have suffered substantial physical or mental abuse as a result of having been a victim of criminal activity.
  • You have information about the criminal activity. If you are under the age of 16 or unable to provide information due to a disability, a parent, guardian, or next friend may possess the information about the crime on your behalf (see glossary for definition of ‘next friend’).
  • You were helpful, are helpful, or are likely to be helpful to law enforcement in the investigation or prosecution of the crime. If you are under the age of 16 or unable to provide information due to a disability, a parent, guardian, or next friend may assist law enforcement on your behalf.
  • The crime occurred in the United States or violated U.S. laws.

Qualifying Criminal Activity Includes:

  • Abduction
  • Abusive Sexual Contact
  • Blackmail
  • Domestic Violence
  • Extortion
  • False Imprisonment
  • Female Genital Mutilation
  • Felonious Assault
  • Fraud in Foreign Labor Contracting
  • Hostage
  • Incest
  • Involuntary Servitude
  • Kidnapping
  • Manslaughter
  • Murder
  • Obstruction of Justice
  • Peonage
  • Perjury
  • Prostitution
  • Rape
  • Sexual Assault
  • Sexual Exploitation
  • Slave Trade
  • Stalking
  • Torture
  • Trafficking
  • Witness Tampering
  • Unlawful Criminal Restraint
  • Other Related Crimes *
* Includes any similar activity where the elements of the crime are substantially similar. Also includes attempt, conspiracy, or solicitation to commit any of the above and other related crimes.

Helpful Links:

For any questions or inquiries, please contact your local police agency where the qualifying crime was reported.

For any questions or inquiries regarding qualifying crimes that were reported to the Anaheim Police Department, please contact the Anaheim Police Department’s U Visa coordinator: Senior Office Specialist Elaine Estrada – (714) 765-1571 at the Orange County Family Justice Center – 150 W. Vermont Ave, Anaheim CA 92805.

Facebook Twitter Google Plus Email

Other News in Police Spotlight


Community Letter

Posted on: February 2, 2017
Bicycle Registration

Bicycle Registration

Posted on: August 18, 2016
See Something Say Something

See Something, Say Something

Posted on: May 27, 2015