Water is Essential to Our Everyday Lives
And, our supplies are limited…so please use water wisely. Cutting water use inside and outside our homes is really important. If each of us changed our water-use habits, we could save billions of gallons of water. Here’s how you can help:
1. Spend only 5 minutes in the shower to save up to 8 gallons each time.
2. Turn off the water faucet while brushing your teeth or shaving to save up to 2.5 gallons per minute.
3. Wash only full loads of laundry and dishes to save up to 50 gallons per week.
4. Fix household leaks promptly to save up to 20 gallons per day.
5. Clean sidewalks and driveways with a broom instead of a hose to save up to 150 gallons each time.
6. Water your lawn 1 to 2 days a week instead of 5 days a week to save up to 840 gallons per week.
7. Water lawns early in the morning or evening to reduce evaporation to save up to 25 gallons each time.
8. Install a smart sprinkler controller that adjusts watering based on weather, soil type, amount of shade and plant type to save up to 40 gallons per day.
9. Repair broken sprinkler heads and correct overspray to save up to 500 gallons per month.
10. Use mulch around plants to reduce evaporation and save hundreds of gallons a year.