Anaheim Public Utilities' electric rates are not affected by the electric rate decisions made by the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC). The PUC approves rate hikes for customers of investor-owned utilities like Southern California Edison and Pacific Gas & Electric. Anaheim Public Utilities and other municipal utilities are not regulated by the PUC.
Anaheim Public Utilities is a century old municipal utility that is governed by Anaheim's directly elected City Council. The more than 345,000 Anaheim residents served by Anaheim Public Utilities continue to enjoy the lowest electric rates in Orange County, about 25 percent lower than rates in neighboring communities, and among the lowest in California.
The major differences between Anaheim's municipal utility and investor-owned utilities, such as Edison and PG&E, are:
- Anaheim Public Utilities is owned by you, Anaheim residents and customers - not investors.
- Our utility is governed by a locally elected City Council.
- Decisions are made with public input in open meetings.
- Anaheim Public Utilities is a not- for-profit organization. As a municipal utility, our operations and rates are based on the cost of providing reliable service.
- Decisions are made in the best interest of our community.
Please click on the following topics: