Anaheim Public Utilities has the power we need to serve our customers. However, since electricity is delivered to us on the statewide power grid, Anaheim is required to participate in load reductions including potential rotating outages, upon instruction by the California Independent System Operator (California ISO), when needed to maintain the overall stability of the power transmission grid.
IN THE EVENT OF ROTATING OUTAGES, YOU CAN LEARN WHAT IS GOING ON IF YOU KNOW YOUR BLOCK NUMBER.
We use a Block Number system to alert you regarding if and when your service may be affected by a rotating outage. You will find your Block Number printed on your Anaheim Public Utilities bill.
STAGE 3 EMERGENCY RESPONSE
While the potential for rotating outages is diminished this summer you should continue to beware of the possibility by doing the following:
- Take note of weather reports indicating several days of temperatures over 100 degrees F over wide areas of Southern California and the State. It is during these extended periods of high temperatures that statewide emergencies are more likely to be called due to a generating capacity shortage or overloading of a transmission line.
- Take note of television or radio mentions of a "Stage 3 Emergency," "rotating outage," "rolling blackout," or "statewide electrical emergency".
- As soon as you are aware of a Stage 3 Alert in California, call Anaheim's PowerWatch phone recording at 714.772.5818 or return to our Web site to read if and when Anaheim might be affected.
- Implement Load Reduction programs.
- If rotating outages have been ordered to take place in Anaheim, turn off all unnecessary electricity. Your voluntary participation at this particular point can help make a difference in decreasing or even preventing rotating outages in our local community.