TreePower, a partnership between Anaheim Public Utilities and the City of Anaheim's Community Services Department, offers trees to Anaheim homeowners, schools, non-profits, multi-family complexes and public lands. An additional tree rebate program is also available for homeowners. Shade trees help cut the costs of air conditioning. Additionally, trees help beautify residences, schools, and the community as a whole.
Well-placed, mature shade trees can reduce air conditioning use by 10% to 40%, saving money on your electric bill. Concrete, asphalt and glass store and reflect heat. Heat is also generated by vehicles and manufacturing. Combine these factors with a reduction in green spaces and trees, and temperatures can rise as much as 8 degrees. These effects can be offset by nature's own air conditioners - trees. Trees make the air feel cooler by releasing water vapor from their leaves. Mature trees have a significant potential to save energy, conserve water and clean the air. Fact is, they can reduce water use of a lawn by 30% to 50%. Further, trees help keep the air healthy by releasing life-sustaining oxygen. And lastly, just being around trees makes people feel good. These naturally attractive additions to the landscape enhance the community's beauty.
Single family residences can get up to six free trees through this program, plus three more through the residential rebate program (see below). Multi-family complex tree limits are dependent on property size and needs.
How the Program Works
1. Shade Trees for single and multi-family homes
- a. Call us at 491-TREE, or sign up through our Web site.
- b. A TreePower representative will schedule a visit to your home or complex. During this visit, your TreePower representative will:
- i. recommend different types of trees that will maximize shading and require minimal pruning
- ii. help site the best location for your tree(s)
- iii. provide you with planting and maintenance tips
- iv. ask you to sign a planting agreement
- v. discuss delivery arrangements
- Your trees will be delivered in about two weeks for you to promptly plant and stake.
2. Residential rebates for shade trees you purchase
With this program, you have the freedom to select your own trees and to plant them whenever you'd prefer.
- TreePower will provide you with a rebate coupon (call 491-TREE), which is available exclusively for single-family homes. You can get as many as three trees, and you will be reimbursed up to $20 per tree.
- Go to any nursery you'd like and select the tree(s) yourself. (Be sure to save your receipt!) Please note the recommended tree types and that trees must be 5-gallons or larger when purchased, and with a mature height not to exceed 25 feet. Recommended trees include Crepe Myrtle, Flowering Plum, Hong Kong Orchid, Chinese Fringe, Bronze Loquat, Gold Medallion, Pink Melaleuca and Redbud. (Fruit trees are not eligible for rebates.)
- Plant your tree(s) at your convenience. The location of your tree must comply with program guidelines - at least 8 feet from the house and on the east, south, or west side of your home.
- Once planted, mail your receipt and coupon to: TreePower-Residential Rebate Program P.0. Box 3222 Anaheim, CA 92803
- Within about 10 days of receipt, a TreePower specialist will inspect your tree(s) for correct planting locations and qualifying species.
- Following the inspection, your rebate check will be mailed to you within approximately 30 days.
3. Trees for schools and non-profit organizations.
Depending on the property's needs, free trees are offered to schools and non-profits to increase shading and reduce cooling costs.
- Call us at 491-TREE, or sign up through our Web site.
- We'll send a representative to your site to perform an on-site audit, explaining tree selection and tree location criteria, as well as recommendations for what trees will work best for you. You can receive as many trees as your site will accommodate, but all must be strategically placed.
- Make your selection. A responsible party, such as an officer or administrator must sign a contract for the trees.
- Trees will be delivered on a pre-arranged date. Planting tips will also be provided to help you get your trees off to a healthy start.
How to Sign-Up
Call TreePower direct at 714.491-TREE during regular business hours, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday. We'll answer your questions and sign you up if you'd like or sign up below.
Complete and submit the following form. A TreePower representative will call you within 10 days.