Anaheim Public Utilities offers a $50 incentive for retiring your operating spare refrigerator or freezer. In many households, the refrigerator is the single biggest energy-consuming appliance. By eliminating your operating spare unit, you will save on your electric bill and help reduce your impact on the environment. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3!
- Older operating refrigerators and freezers can cost as much as $100-$125 per year to operate - particularly those working outside during the hot summer months.
- 98% of the material from the old appliances is reused. As part of the recycling process, we dispose of all harmful refrigerants in an environmentally sound way.
- Recycling spare appliances helps reduce peak summer demand and energy consumption by removing electric base-load equipment from the electric system.
How the Program Works
- Contact us to confirm eligibility and arrange for pickup.
- We'll send a certified recycling contractor to pick up and dispose of the unit properly.
- You will receive your incentive check within 6 weeks after the pickup of the unit.
- Anaheim Public Utilities residential electric customers are eligible for the incentive.
- The old refrigerator must be full-sized, between 14 and 26 cubic feet. Mini refrigerators, such as wine coolers or dorm coolers, and commercial-sized refrigerators do not qualify.
- Only one operating unit may be recycled for incentive, unless preapproved by Anaheim Public Utilities.
For more information about Refrigerator Recycling, call 877.838.1155.
(Subject to available funding.)