Turf is one of the most water-intensive plants in your landscape. In fact, the average residential customer uses about 50% of their water on outdoor irrigation. By replacing turf with native and California Friendly™ plants or artificial turf you can save water and money.
To help you with your turf removal project, Anaheim Public Utilities offers a turf removal rebate through the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California’s SoCal Water$mart Program. For a limited time, the rebate is $3 per square foot of turf removed up to 1,500 sq. ft. for residential and up to 3,000 sq. ft. for commercial properties.
In order to be eligible for a rebate, you must apply and receive project start approval before removing any turf (grass). The converted area must meet minimum requirements, including:
- Must install a native and/or California Friendly® Garden or artificial turf.
- New front yard and/or parkway projects must follow City of Anaheim Landscaping Requirements. Prior to installation, the Anaheim Planning Department must review and approve the proposed landscape design, and if applicable, the artificial turf product before it is purchased. Please call a Planner at 714.765.5139 for assistance.
- Converted areas may not include any live turf or turf-looking grasses and must be permeable to air and water. Concrete and other impermeable surfaces will be disqualified.
- Exposed soil must be covered with a 2-3” mulch layer to prevent erosion.
- No invasive plants will be used. For more information, visit the California Invasive Plant Inventory
Rebates are available by reservation only. To receive your rebate:
- Set up an account with a valid email address and password at socalwatersmart.com
- Submit the Online Application with a copy of your water bill and at least 5 photos of the area where turf (grass) will be removed. View the Photo Guidelines.
- After receiving a reservation (review process takes about 2 weeks), you must complete your turf removal project and submit your rebate request within 120 days. This includes submission of at least 5 photos of the completed project, copy of your most recent water bill, and if applicable, copy of artificial turf receipt.
Upon approval of the rebate request, you will receive a rebate check (8-10 weeks processing time).
City of Anaheim Landscaping Requirements
New and Rehabilitated Landscape Projects
Anaheim Planning Department requires that contractor/ developer installed landscape projects of at least 2,500 square feet or larger follow an approved landscape design plan. For individual homeowners, projects of at least 5,000 square feet or larger must also be reviewed and approved by the Anaheim Planning Department prior to installation. In some cases, smaller projects will need review and approval by the Anaheim Planning Department. Please call a Planner at 714.765.5139 for more information.
Front Yard Landscaping
Live landscaping or artificial turf needs to occupy at least fifty percent (50%) of required front yards for single-family homes. Artificial turf may be used in lieu of live landscaping in front, side, and rear yards for up to 100% coverage or in combination with all other natural non-turf materials. Bark chips, mulch, gravel, pavers and stones shall not be counted as landscaping. Please call a Planner at 714.765.5139 for more information.
Live landscaping needs to occupy at least fifty percent (50%) of the parkway area. Groundcovers and low-growing shrubs or plants (not to exceed two feet in height as measured from the top of the adjacent curb) must be replanted where turf was removed. Artificial turf may be used in lieu of live landscaping (i.e. shrubs) up to 100%. Trees are allowed, but planting of new and/or removal must be approved by the City. Please call Public Works at 714.765.6860 for more information.
Artificial Turf/ Quality Standards
The use of indoor or outdoor plastic or nylon carpeting as a replacement for artificial turf is prohibited. Artificial turf shall be of a type known as cut pile infill and shall be manufactured from polypropylene, polyethelene, or a blend of polypropylene and polyethleyene fibers stitched onto a polypropylene or polyurethane meshed or hole-punched backing. Hole-punched backings shall have holes spaced in a uniform grid pattern with spacing not to exceed four inches by six inches on center. The Anaheim Planning Department will need to review and approve the artificial turf product you are proposing to install. View the Sample Approval Form. The Anaheim Planning Department maintains samples of various turf products that meet this standard of appearance. Please call a Planner at 714.765.5139 for more information.
Artificial Turf/ Installation
Artificial turf shall be installed over a compacted and porous road base material and shall be anchored at all edges and seams. An infill medium consisting of clean washed sand, or other approved mixture shall be brushed into the fibers to insure that the fibers remain in an upright position and to provide ballast that will help hold the turf in place and provide a cushioning effect. Artificial turf must consist of pile fibers a minimum height of 1-3/4" and a proper drainage system shall be installed underneath the turf to prevent excessive run-off or pooling.
Turf removal and artificial turf installation project in the City of Anaheim.
Visit the Turf Removal Program FAQs page to learn more.
For rebate application assistance, call 714.765.4203 or email firstname.lastname@example.org