In October 1997, City Council adopted the Anaheim Colony Historic District. This is the city's first and largest Historic District. The boundaries of the Colony match the original German Colony founded in 1857 (North, South, East and West Streets). Over 1000 qualified structures are located within this 1.8-square mile area.
On January 26, 1999, City Council approved the Anaheim Colony Monument, in which four were installed to mark the main entries of the district; North Street and Anaheim Boulevard, South Street and Anaheim Boulevard, East Street and Lincoln Avenue, and West Street and Lincoln Avenue.
An interesting feature of the 1916 Wohlgemuth House located at 211 N. Olive Street was a 50 year-old cactus planted on the property next to the home. It needed to be removed before restoring the property to its original condition. This enormous specimen was such an incredible size that the City hired a moving specialist who brought in a crane and lifted the 4-ton cactus onto a flat bed.
Lincoln Avenue was
briefly closed down, and the cactus was slowly and carefully hauled down the streets of the Colony to be planted in Rudy Boysen’s cactus garden at
Park where it appears to be doing very well.
ANAHEIM COLONY w FIVE POINTS w HISTORIC PALM w HOSKINS