Home Generated ‘Sharps’
What are ‘Sharps’?
- hypodermic needles
- pen needles
- intravenous needles
- other devices that are used to penetrate the skin for the
- delivery of medications from a household.
It is illegal to dispose of sharps in trash or recycling containers.
Where Can I Take My “Sharps”?
Republic Services and the City of Anaheim has a new program to provide disposal service for sharps items for a nominal fee that is safe, convenient, and confidential. Sharps can now be mailed to a safe disposal location using Republic Services Medical Mail Back Kit. Each kit includes:
- A government approved plastic container specifically designed for sharps waste
- Postage pre-paid mail back shipping box
- Pre-addressed shipping labels
- Pre-paid disposal
To obtain a Sharps Mail Back Kit and for additional information, please contact Republic Services at (855) 737-7871 or visit www.republicsharps.com.
In addition, the County of Orange Household Hazardous Waste Collection Centers continues to accept sharps waste for disposal for FREE. Sharps should be transported to the facility in a sealed puncture resistant container such as:
- plastic detergent bottle
- liquid fabric softener bottle
- empty bleach bottle
- store purchased Sharps container
The County of Orange Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center is located at:
Household Hazardous Waste Collection Center
1071 North Blue Gum Street
Anaheim, CA 92806
For additional options, please contact your medical provider or pharmacy and ask if they accept Sharps for disposal.