PROGRAM BACKGROUNDIt is the City’s policy to value and promote cultural events, programs and services that benefit the residents of the City. The Poet Laureate is a two-year honorary (unpaid) appointment as the literary ambassador for the City of Anaheim. The goals of the program are to (1) inspire Anaheim residents with the transformative power and beauty of poetry; (2) provide Anaheim youth with opportunities to engage in literary arts and write or perform poetry; (3) bring poetry to a variety of settings in Anaheim, promoting cultural connections and partnership opportunities.
As part of the appointment as Poet Laureate and literary ambassador for the City of Anaheim, the Poet Laureate duties shall include, but not limited to, the following:
ELIGIBILITYIn determining an individual’s eligibility to apply for selection as the Poet Laureate, an individual must meet the following criteria:1. The applicant must demonstrate a significant and meaningful tie to the Anaheim community for a minimum of five years.2. The applicant must be at least 21 years old.3. The applicant must have demonstrated a commitment to poetry through prior publication.4. The applicant must have demonstrated experience and commitment to spoken word by giving public performances.5. The applicant must have demonstrated an ability to teach workshops and lead collaborative community partner events.
APPLICATION PROCESSSubmissions for the Anaheim Poet Laureate will be solicited by an open call to the community. An application for selection as Poet Laureate must be submitted no later than the stated submission deadline. Application procedures described are administrative and may be modified by the Director of Community Services, a designee, when appropriate.1. Applicants must submit a complete application to the City of Anaheim.2. Applications must include:
3. Applications may be submitted at any time before the stated deadline.
4. Applications that are not submitted electronically by the application deadline will be late and will not be considered.
5. Hard copies of applications delivered to the wrong City office will not be considered unless redelivery is made to the office specified before the application deadline.
6. It is the responsibility of the applicant to allow for sufficient time for their application to be received by the Community Services Department before the application deadline. The City will not be held responsible for failure of an application to allow adequate time to fully upload their electronic submission before the application deadline.
7. All applications submitted either electronically or via hard copy will be treated in a confidential and secure manner.
8. All works submitted shall be considered copyrighted and may not be copied or duplicated without the author’s prior, written consent. All submission packages will be securely destroyed and recycled and/or made available for applicants to pick-up.
Applications for the 2022-2024 Poet Laureate recruitment are due Friday, December 10, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
SELECTION PROCEDUREA selection panel chaired by a Cultural and Heritage Commission member will review all applications. The selection panel shall be comprised of the chair and four members from any of the following organizations:
The committee will rank the candidates based on the selection criteria. Those judged as being the most qualified will be contacted and given an interview. This interview will include a performance of selected poetry by the applicant. The Anaheim Cultural and Heritage Commission will approve the panel recommendation and formally appoint the Poet Laureate. The appointment will be a two-year, uncompensated appointment, beginning in April of each year.
QUESTIONSQuestions about the application process should be directed to Joe Purtell at (714) 765-1707 or Jpurtell@anaheim.net.
Applications are due Friday, December 10, 2021 at 3:00 p.m.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field