The City Attorney's Department provides legal advice and services to the City Council, City officials, staff, departments, boards, commissions, and related City entities and enterprises, to protect the interests of the City and its taxpayers and to assure that actions by or on behalf of the City and its related entities are in accordance with all applicable legal requirements. The department represents the City and its officers and employees in civil litigation matters; prepares contracts, ordinances, resolutions and other legal documents involving the City or its related entities, and is responsible for the criminal prosecution of all misdemeanor and infraction offenses occurring within the jurisdictional limits of the City.
Our mission is to:
- Provide the highest quality legal services to the City at the lowest possible cost to the taxpayers,
- Provide sound and objective legal advice and representation to City officials and staff,
- Earn and keep the respect and trust of those for whom and with whom we work,
- Act in accordance with the highest ethical and professional standards.
To fulfill this mission, we have established the following goals:
- To provide high quality legal services to the City, and its officials, staff, departments, boards, commissions and related City entities and enterprises,
- To effectively prosecute misdemeanor and infraction offenses within the jurisdiction of the City Attorney,
- To effectively control the costs of all legal services provided to the City.