The Cultural & Heritage Commission is appointed by and acts as an advisory body to the City Council on matters concerning the arts, culture and historic preservation and heritage. The Cultural and Heritage Commission Meetings are open to the public and encourage public attendance. The Commission meets on the 3rd Thursday of every month at 6:30 PM at the Downtown Anaheim Community Center. For more information on the Cultural and Heritage Commission Meetings, please contact us at (714) 765-5236.
The 7-member commission, which is appointed by the Anaheim City Council, has the following responsibilities:
- Develop prioritized strategies providing recommendations to Council related to the implementation of the Cultural Arts Plan.
- Oversee the City's cultural and historical assets.
- Facilitate cooperative efforts of private individuals, community organizations and business that promote and enhance the cultural and historic environment of the City.
- Develop recommendations concerning the allocation of City resources, as available, for the support of cultural and historic art, events and programs within the City.
- Develop mechanisms for the solicitation and public input in the process of selection of works of art and their placement, when appropriate.
- Recommend for City Council a set of goals and annual objects that will serve the visual, performing, literary and multi-media arts.
- Perform other related duties as outlined in the Municipal Code and such additional duties and functions as may be required from time to time by specific action and direction of the City Council.
The Commission meets at 6:30 PM on the 3rd Thursday of every month in the Downtown Anaheim Community Center:
Highlighting the talents of selected visual artists, the Center Gallery exhibits feature works throughout the year at the Downtown Anaheim Community Center.Goals
- Provide local visual artists a six to eight week long opportunity to exhibit artwork at the Downtown Anaheim Community Center
- Nurture working relationships/partnerships between local and regional artists, presenters, art organizations and the Anaheim community
- Encourage creative growth among artists of all ages
- Exhibit artwork of Anaheim & the Greater Southern California region residents
- Demonstrate artistic creativity and ability in recent works
- Demonstrate ability to share their creative approach and engage in dialogue with City Council, the Cultural & Heritage Commission, students and the Anaheim community
- Complete the Fine Arts Gallery Application
- Submit six (6) recent work samples (photos or digital format acceptable) labeled with artist name, title, medium and dimensions
- Current resume with education, exhibitions, collection(s), review, publications and awards
Click Here for Application PDF Online Application Center Gallery Facebook Page
Downtown Anaheim's - Art in Public Places