As a beloved children's book character, many of you may use Flat Stanley curriculum in your classrooms. Through a partnership between FEMA and a Flatterworld.com Flat Stanley has donned a FEMA uniform and set out to encourage emergency preparedness to students and their families.
You can get the students at your school involved by helping them download either Stanley or Stella. Students, with their parent's assistance may email pictures to firstname.lastname@example.org, post pictures with their FEMA Flat Stanley or Stella to the Fire Department CERT Facebook Page: Anaheim CERT or the twitter account: @AnaheimCERT. When using twitter, encourage everyone to use the search tag #FlatStanley or mention @AnaheimCERT so we know that Flat Stanley and Stella are helping get our community prepared.
Here are some basic preparedness activities we hope students and their families might undertake with Flat Stanley or Stella and capture as a photo:
- Identify their family meeting place outside if they need to evacuate their home.
- Identify a neighbor or relative where it will be safe to go to until they can be reunited with their parents.
- As a family, put together an emergency kit that will keep everyone safe, fed and thirst free for at least 72 hours.
- Identify someone to call out-of state so that all family members can share their status until they can be reunited.
- Each family member should put together a backpack of essential items that they would need if they needed to leave their house during an emergency, we call this a "Go Kit."
- Demonstrate Duck, Cover, and Hold On to practice for earthquakes.
- Take a family picture with Stanley or Stella in front of your neighborhood Fire Station or Police Station.
- Demonstrate checking the smoke alarms in your home and changing the batteries if the test warrants.
- Working in the yard with your family to maintain a fire prevention clearance around your home.
- Find your nearest Neighborhood CERT Team site and take a picture with your family.
For questions about the Flat Stanley and Flat Stella disaster preparedness project visit www.ready.gov/flatstanley.
FEMA Flat Stanley and Flat Stella
Use this button to send us photos of you with your Flat Stanley or Flat Stella
PHOTO RELEASE (Please Read Carefully)
By submitting an entry, submitting a photograph(s), and participating in the Flat Stanley and Flat Stella Program, (i) I attest that I am the parent or legal guardian of the child/children in the photograph(s);, (ii) I attest that I am authorized by any adult in said photograph(s) to release his/her/their name and/or image; (iii) I agree that on my behalf, and on behalf of the child/children and any adult pictures, to (a) irrevocably transfer, grant, and assign to the City of Anaheim, its officials, employees, and representatives (hereinafter, “Anaheim”), the right worldwide and in perpetuity, to use such name, likeness, image, and photograph(s), including any reproductions of same, in any and all media including, without limitation, use on the AnaheimCERT Facebook Page, the @AnaheimCERT Twitter Account, a special Web Page dedicated to Flat Stanley and Flat Stella, in connection with the Flat Stanley and Flat Stella Program, and/or use in other promotions, advertising, or promotional purposes, without compensation; and (b) release Anaheim from any liability with respect thereto; and (iv) I acknowledge and agree to Facebook’s Terms and Policies and Twitter’s Terms of Service.