||ANAHEIM PUBLIC UTILITIES LEADS IN SUSTAINABLE INITIATIVES
ANAHEIM, CA (February 13, 2009) - Anaheim Public Utilities has just released its report, “Top Sustainable Accomplishments” highlighting achievements in energy efficiency, water conservation, green building, and its use of clean technology. Besides describing the success of Anaheim’s Advantage Services, the report also provides a snapshot of the energy and water savings to date, and the City’s emission reductions over the past decade.
Among the accomplishments outlined in the report are Anaheim’s numerous rebates and incentives offered in areas such as solar panel installation, free shade trees, and green building. The success of such programs has allowed the City to proactively address pending regulatory mandates that requires lower carbon emissions output and greater water conservation.
“I’m pleased that our sustainable programs and technologies have benefited a number of our customers, allowing them to enjoy greater cost savings while contributing to a cleaner Anaheim,” says Marcie Edwards, General Manager of Anaheim Public Utilities.
Anaheim has also been a leader in embracing private industry partnerships to deliver emerging new technologies to its residents and customers. In 2007, the first solar glass curtain wall – an advanced new technology capable of providing renewable energy – was installed at the Tiger Woods Learning Center in Anaheim. The project was reflective of a renewed focus on creativity and technological advancement that Anaheim displayed since developing its “one of a kind” underground substation.
The Top Ten Sustainable Accomplishments are highlighted below:
- Responding to education and energy efficiency incentives, Anaheim consumers have reduced energy use by 698 million kWh – enough energy savings to supply 22,600 typical Anaheim homes for 10 years.
- The investment to help Anaheim consumers become more energy efficient has totaled $52 million over the past 10 years – the lowest cost energy and carbon reduction offset.
- Eighty-seven solar energy systems have been installed in Anaheim, producing enough clean energy to supply 148 homes for one full year.
- Anaheim has saved more than 17 billion gallons of water through water conservation programs, which is enough water to serve the entire city of Anaheim for almost 9 months.
- Anaheim Public Utilities’ goal is to power 90% of its light to medium fleet with clean-burning alternative fuel vehicles by 2020; currently 34% of the fleet use alternative fuels - right on target.
- For five years, Anaheim Public Utilities has been named a Certified Climate Action Leader by the California Climate Action Registry. Through energy efficiency programs, Anaheim has reduced CO2 emissions by 1.1 billion pounds.
- Anaheim’s replacement of old traffic signal indications with new light emitting diode (LED) technology is saving $5 million in energy and maintenance costs over the six-year life of the lights.
- Anaheim Public Utilities’ goal is to generate 20% of retail electric sales from clean, renewable resources by 2015; currently we are at 8% - right on target.
- Anaheim works with developers and builders to use sustainable building practices. Anaheim has 17 active projects expected to receive green building certification, including 1,200 residential units.
- Through the TreePower program, 40,000 shade trees were planted saving 7.7 million kWh of electricity and reducing CO2 emissions by 13 million pounds.
To learn more about Anaheim’s energy efficient and water saving programs, visit www.anaheim.net, click on Public Utilities and then Advantage Services, or click on Anaheim Anytime and type in “sustainable efforts.”
For more information, please contact Margie Otto at (714) 765-4497 or email@example.com.
ABOUT ANAHEIM PUBLIC UTILITIES For more than 100 years, Anaheim Public Utilities has served Anaheim water and electric customers with low rates and reliable service. Anaheim Public Utilities is Orange County's only publicly owned water and electric utility.
ABOUT ANAHEIM The City of Anaheim, founded in 1857, is one of the nation's premier municipalities and is California's 10th most populous city. Anaheim covers 50 square miles with more than 345,500 residents and more than 2,100 City employees. The municipal corporation's annual budget is $1.3 billion. Anaheim supports a thriving business community with companies such as CKE Restaurants, Inc., L-3 Communications, Pacific Sunwear, and Disneyland Resort. Successful sports franchises call Anaheim home, including Angels Baseball, Anaheim Ducks, Anaheim Arsenal, and the 2008 Olympic Gold Medal winning USA Men's Volleyball team. Anaheim also boasts world-class meeting and entertainment venues with the Anaheim Convention Center, the largest on the west coast, Honda Center, The Grove of Anaheim, Anaheim GardenWalk, and Angel Stadium of Anaheim. Annually, Anaheim welcomes millions of visitors to the city, truly making it where the world comes to live, work and play. For more information, please visit www.anaheim.net.