Scammers repeatedly target utility customers
They pose as utility employees threatening to abruptly disconnect water and electric services if immediate payment is not made using a prepaid card. This is a scam, if you suspect a fraudulent phone call, email, or personal visit call the authorities. Your safety and security is our priority.
The Public Utilities never make unsolicited customer calls or visits asking for immediate payment.
FRAUD CALLS FOR UNPAID BILLS:
- Customers are instructed to purchase a prepaid card to solicit payment in order to avoid disconnection of their water and/or electric service.
- They are then instructed to call the impersonator back at a telephone number different from the customer service number listed on the back of their utility bill.
- Utility impersonators may use what’s called “spoofing software” which allows them to falsely display our name and phone number on your caller ID.
ANAHEIM PUBLIC UTILITIES PAYMENT PRACTICES
Anaheim representatives will never make unsolicited calls to customers asking for payment information over the phone, nor will our staff visit your home to solicit payment. Customers can pay their utility bills one of the following ways:
- By mail to Anaheim Public Utilities, P.O. Box 3222, Anaheim, CA 92803-3222
- In-person through the Anaheim West Tower drop box located outside of 201 S. Anaheim Blvd.
- Through our automated phone system by calling 714.765.3300
- Securely online
TIPS TO AVOID FRAUDULENT ACTIVITY FROM HAPPENING TO YOU:
- Be cautious about the personal information you share online
- Make sure to shred all bills you are throwing in the trash
- Anaheim Public Utilities accepts cash, check, credit card (Visa, MasterCard, or Discover), money order, or payment via checking account
- If you receive a disconnection notification (especially by phone), please verify it by dialing the authorized customer service number on your utility bill before making any such payment