The City of Anaheim was founded in 1857, and in 1894, the City built the first municipal electric utility in Southern California. Within a year, the Anaheim Public Utilities was bringing energy to the downtown area and generating energy from 1895-1916. From 1916-1976, Anaheim purchased its power supply from Southern California Edison Company, and from 1976 - 2003, Anaheim began receiving power from its ownership shares in conventional resources, including nuclear, coal, and natural gas resources, until providing customers with renewal resources, beginning in 2003. Today we provide electricity to our customers from multiple renewable energy projects located across the western United States.
In 2006, Assembly Bill 32 established a statewide Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions reduction target of 20% below 1990 levels by 2020, which later increased to 60% by 2030. To help achieve the State's GHG emissions reduction goals, we have been providing our customers with increasing amounts of energy from renewable resources, while reducing the consumption of non-renewable energy resources. In calendar year 2021, 35.9% of our energy was produced from renewable resources.