Undergrounding - New / Upgrade / Relocation

Upgrading or Relocating Residential Underground Electric Service Panel

Step 1: Application & Meter Spot

  • Contact customer service at 714-765-3300 to let us know about your plans to either upgrade or relocate your home electrical panel. 
  • A utility inspector will contact you within 2-3 business days to schedule an appointment. He will provide a simple diagram called a Meter Spot Report that shows acceptable locations for your electrical panel, and gives you guidance to avoid costly rework. The utility inspector will check the outdoor utility wires and location of where to connect to your panel, and can answer any questions about your project. You may also request a Meter Spot online.

Step 2: Consultation

  • Contact the utilities designer indicated on the Meter Spot Report to discuss service panel options and any associated costs. Once the project scope is determined, an electric service plan will be prepared to provide you and your contractor with formal construction requirements (about 2-4 weeks). You may pick up your plan from the Electrical Engineering counter at Anaheim West Tower or request that it be mailed or emailed.
  • You will be billed for service costs associated with preparing the electric service plan and any associated installation and inspection performed by the utility. The bill will have instructions on how you can pay your fees by mail or over the counter at the Cashier’s Office.
  • If you are interested in undergrounding your overhead electrical lines and are willing to install the plastic conduits for new underground wires, you may be eligible to receive an incentive rebate as part of the Home Undergrounding Programing  (HUG) or ask the electrical designer.

Contact Us

  1. Electrical Engineering

    Call: 714-765-5156 or Email
    ACH/Hearing Impaired 
    TDD: 714-765-5125

    Mon. - Fri.: 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
    Anaheim West Tower
    201 S. Anaheim Blvd. 
    Anaheim, CA 92805 Map

    Utilities Directory

Step 3: City Building Permit 

  • A City Building Permit is needed to make sure your home is in compliance with the building code. The building inspector will check the electrical panel and all wiring. You can apply for the permit over the counter at City Hall, located at 200 S. Anaheim Blvd., or by calling 714-765-5153. There is a separate fee for the building permit.

Step 4: Trenching & Electrical Installation

  • After receiving both your building permit and electric service plan, you are ready to begin trenching. Please call the utility inspector at 714-765-6847 two business days before filling in the trench so he can check that your trench and conduits are installed correctly. Your contractor can also proceed with the electrical panel installation and wiring.

Step 5: Final Inspections  

  • There are three sets of final inspections needed. (1) a building inspection to check your panel; (2) a utility inspection to check between the power source to the panel; (3) a meter shop inspection.
  • First, contact the building inspector at 714-765-4626 to approve the panel installation and house wiring. 
  • Once you have passed the building inspection, contact our electrical utility inspector at 714-765-6847, and arrange for the final utility and meter shop inspection. 
  • Upon passing the utility and meter shop inspections, a service crew will be scheduled to energize your panel within 2-4 business days. If you prefer to schedule installation for a specific time/date, please let the utility inspector know.