The term “portability” refers to the process of leasing a dwelling unit with tenant-based Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) assistance outside of the jurisdiction of the Housing Authority that initially issued the voucher, referred to as the initial PHA. The Housing Authority that manages the jurisdiction where the family will be moving to is referred to as the receiving PHA.    

The receiving PHA has the choice of billing the initial PHA for assistance on behalf of the porting family, or of absorbing the family into its own program.

Port Out Process

If you are an Anaheim Housing Authority (AHA) voucher holder and want to move to a city outside of Orange County, California, you must contact your assigned Housing Specialist in writing and advise of your request to port out.

Your Housing Specialist will determine if you are eligible to receive a voucher to move.

You must follow all policies and procedures of the receiving PHA.

Port In Process

Families wishing to move to Anaheim Housing Authority jurisdiction must notify their current PHA of their request to Port Out. Your current housing authority will then contact AHA and will need to submit the portability required documents to us. 

For general information on how to Port to Anaheim Housing you may:

AHA's Portability Secure fax line is (714) 765-4643.

  • Once your portability paperwork is received at AHA, you will be contacted for an intake appointment.
  • After your paperwork is processed, you will be invited to a briefing appointment where you will receive your Voucher.