Permits & Information

Fictitious Business Name
If you are using a fictitious business name, contact the County Clerk’s Office and your local newspaper with regard to publication of notice, etc. You may wish to contact the clerk by telephone first at 714-834-2889 or visit the website. Fictitious Business Name or DBA (Doing Business As) are 1 and the same.

Seller’s Permit
Your business activity may require a seller’s permit (retail sales tax number) from the State Board of Equalization. To obtain such a permit, you must apply in person at one of the local district offices. You may wish to contact them by telephone first to determine if your business requires such a permit. You may reach them at 800-400-7115 or visit the State Board of Equalization website.

Federal Employer Identification Number
Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for a federal employer identification number. The IRS provides small business tax workshops for new businesses. Additional information and forms are available on the IRS website. The IRS can be reached at 800-829-1040.

State Employer Identification Number
Contact the State Employment Development Department to obtain a state employer identification number if you have employees and withhold state income tax, disability, and unemployment insurance. You may reach the Anaheim Office at 888-745-3886 or visit the State Employment Development Department website.

Insurance Requirements
Concerning your insurance requirements, such as liability and workers' compensation, contact your insurance agent for information about your particular kind of business.

Alcoholic Beverages
Contact the Alcoholic Beverage Control Board at 714-558-4101 if you plan to sell or serve alcoholic beverages. You will also need to contact the Planning Department to obtain zoning approval for on sale liquor.

Contact the Franchise Tax Board if you intend to have employees or to obtain a form 540 for estimating state withholding tax for yourself. You can reach them at 800-852-5711 or visit the Franchise Tax Board website.

Prepare & Sell Food
If your establishment intends to prepare and/or sell food of any type, you must complete a health permit application either at the Business License Counter or at the Orange County Health Care Agency. You may contact the Orange County Health Care Agency at 714-433-6000 or visit the Orange County Health Care Agency website, if you should have any questions regarding a health permit.

Firearms & Ammunition
If you intend to engage in the sale of firearms or ammunition, contact the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms (ATF) at 714347-9100 or visit the ATF website. All necessary and appropriate permits, certificates and licenses must be copied and attached to your business license application.