Well & Boring Permits


Download a well permit application and view completion instructions.
Well and boring permits are required for the installation, destruction or rehabilitation of all wells, probes or other vertical excavations. Wells are typically defined as any vertically drilled excavations that have a casing installed. Soil borings, or vapor probes to a depth of 20 feet or more, or that encounter groundwater, also require a well permit. All well drilling contractors must possess a current C-57 contractor’s license and Anaheim Business License.

If the wells or borings are being installed under the direction of regulatory agency, that agency must authorize initiating the work.  The permit issued by Anaheim does not eliminate that obligation.

If a domestic supply well is proposed in the City of Anaheim, please contact the Environmental Services Division at 714-765-4117 for current information on the buffer zone for the Groundwater Replenishment System.
A water well with a tall structure over it

Contact Information

  1. California Department of Water Resource 

    Call: 916-653-5791 or Email

    Department of Water Resources Southern Region

    770 Fairmount Ave., Suite 102
    Glendale, CA 91203

Well Permit Fees

  • $273 for the permit application
  • An additional $84 for each well installed or destroyed
  • Borings and vapor probes that do not reach groundwater do not require the $84 fee per well

Injection Wells

In addition to requiring a well permit from the City of Anaheim, Class V injection wells must also be registered with the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Region 9. The registration form can be found on their website. Verification of EPA registration must be submitted to Anaheim Public Utilities with the Well Completion Report.

High Production Wells

Any well expected to produce over 500 gallons per minute must include verification that the proposed well will not negatively impact an existing well or a well planned to be installed by the City of Anaheim. The verification document shall be signed by a state certified hydrogeologist and include the written concurrence of the Orange County Water District.

Unusual Methodology or Use

When the environmental services manager determines a well project proposes unusual methodology for drilling, well installation, well destruction or use, he or she may require the well permit applicant to provide documentation from a California licensed Professional Geologist, Professional Engineer, or an authoritative body (such US EPA, California EPA, Department of Water Resources, and/or OSHA), certifying that the proposed methodology meets industry standards and is appropriate for the proposed project before a well permit will be issued.

Destruction of Water Supply Wells

The following is a list of minimum requirements (see city's W-630 Standard). Additional requirements may be required by Anaheim depending on actual conditions. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following:
  • If required by the city inspector, perforate the well casing to ensure backfilling of annular space outside of casing.
  • Excavate around casing, a minimum of 5 feet below existing or proposed grade, whichever is lower. Cut casing at the 5-foot depth. The casing is to be swaged (flared), rebar is to be installed and a cement mushroom cap is to be installed.
  • Fill the excavation to grade with compacted fill as directed by the city inspector.
  • Measure total depth and casing diameter to determine amount of sealing material required.
  • Pump an approved sealing material using a tremie pipe from the bottom of the well to 8 feet from the top of the well.
  • Remove all obstructions, contaminants and pumping apparatus from the well casing. Note: Contaminants are to be properly stored/disposed according to local, state and federal regulations.

Destruction of Monitoring Wells, Vadose Wells, Vapor Probes & Soil Borings

All abandoned wells and borings shall be properly destroyed and sealed. Wells are considered abandoned if unused for a period of 1 year.
  1. Wells are to be destroyed using 1 of the following methods:
    • If an abandoned well is overexcavated (e.g. during new pool installation), then a new cap must be installed.
    • If site is excavated, the wells may be excavated, the casing pulled and any voids filled with sealant.
      • Overdrilling the entire well
      • Removing the annular seal
      • Removing the filter pack
      • Removing the well box
      • Removing the well casing
    • The borehole shall then be filled with an Anaheim Public Utilities approved sealing material.
    • Pressure grouting with an approved sealing material that flows through the perforations - The casing may need to be perforated to ensure sealing material penetrates the filter pack and all other voids. The top five feet of the well and well box shall be overdrilled/removed and filled with an Anaheim Public Utilities approved sealing material or a combination of sealing materials, such as bentonite, capped with concrete and followed by native fill.
  2. Soil borings are to be destroyed by filling the borehole with an approved sealing material on the same day they are drilled. Approved sealing materials per California's Department of Water Resources Well Standards Bulletin 74-90 and Anaheim Public Utilities W-630 Standard are:
    • Bentonite grout
    • Bentonite
    • Concrete
    • Neat cement
    • Sand cement grout
  3. Soil vapor probes deeper than 20 feet or that extend to groundwater are to be destroyed using methods described in "Advisory - Active Soil Gas Investigations", California Environmental Protection Agency Department of Toxic Substances Control, July 2015.

 Any deviations from standard methodology require the written approval of the environmental services manager.

Right of Way Construction Permit

For wells or borings to be drilled in city streets, sidewalks, or other rights-of-way, the applicant must obtain a right-of-way construction permit from the Public Works Department (714-765-5176). View general information about right of way construction permits (PDF).

Well Completion Report

Within 60 days of the date of completion, a copy of the California Department of Water Resources (DWR) well completion report (PDF) must be submitted to Anaheim Public Utilities for each well constructed or destroyed. A copy of the right-of-way construction permit should be included with the well completion report (if applicable).

View or download well completion report resources from the DWR website. A well completion report (PDF) can be downloaded, too.

Send the completed report to:
Department Water Resources
Southern Region
770 Fairmount Avenue
Suite 102
Glendale, CA 91203-1035

Email the Department for more information.

Also, send a copy to:
Anaheim Public Utilities
Environment Services Division
201 South Anaheim Boulevard
Suite 1101
Anaheim, CA 92805

Email the Division for more information.

Additional Information

If you would like additional information, please contact Environmental Services by calling 714-765-4117 or via email. Under most cases, Anaheim staff will process permit applications within five (5) days. If same-day service is needed, please contact us to set up an appointment to process your permit application.

Updated August 15, 2017